"The High Cost of Medical Malpractice Insurance for Doctors: What is the Cause? - Show II (rebroadcast)" was first aired on Sunday March 23rd 2003. Our Guest was Dr. Jack Beller, President-Elect, Oklahoma State Medical Association.
Our topics included:
- Show II on the cost of medical malpractice insurance for doctors: what is the cause
- Two weeks ago had Jim Loftis, President, Oklahoma Trial Lawyers Association
- This week will have Dr. Jack Beller, President-Elect, Oklahoma Medical Association to get the opposing views
- The Legislature has not spoken on this yet and this discussion could not be more timely
- What has happened to medical malpractice insurance premiums? Nationally and in Oklahoma
- Why have these dramatic increases occurred?
- Patient jury verdicts; Patient settlements; Insurance companies overcharging doctors
- What has been the result to the medical community in Oklahoma?
- Are we having doctors leaving/retiring
- What is the danger to the community for lack of access to medical care if this continues?
- Discussion on the task force of Governor Henry
- Membership; Have they met? What is the mission? What is the timing?
- Discussion on the proposed legislation:
- $250,000 limit on non-economic damages; Limit attorney's contingent fees; require expert certification before suit is filed
- Lawyers keeping more than 50% of the award - how can this be happening?