"The Monuments Issue" was first aired on Sunday February 2nd 2014. Our Guests were Rick Tepker, Professor of Law, University of Oklahoma College of Law and Harvey Ellis, Attorney, Crowe & Dunlevy.
Our topics included:
- The 10 Commandments Monument at the Oklahoma Fairgrounds - background of the controversy about this.
- 2009 Statute.
- Erection of the Oklahoma Monument 2012.
- ACLU lawsuit - Prescott.
- Additional monument requests.
- Explanation of the ACLU lawsuit.
- The Oklahoma Constitution.
- Other proposed monuments - what’s going on there and how they should be resolved.
- Difference between government speech and citizens’ free speech.
- Establishment clause issues - what it is and what the First Amendment says.
- The Court’s composition change since 2005.
- Green v. Haskell County Bd. of Commissioners, what that was and what impact it had.
- Prediction for the outcome of these pieces of litigation.
Harvey Ellis, Kent Meyers, Rick Tepker