"Meet Our New Presiding Judge" was first aired on Sunday January 6th 2013. Our Guest was The Honorable David Lewis, Presiding Judge, Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals.
Our topics included:
- Congratulations on being elected Presiding Judge of the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals and his retention election victory.
- Having been on the bench in Oklahoma since 1991, how he has found service to the citizens of Oklahoma from the bench.
- Major needs the Court of Criminal Appeals has that he hopes may be addressed while he is Presiding Judge.
- Discuss the makeup of the Court and the general docket caseload.
- How cases are assigned to individual Judges for initially writing an Opinion.
- Discuss handling capital case matters and do they give him particular concern to deal with those matters.
- In general, how trial Judges are doing in handling criminal cases.
- Does our system allow for the equalizing of docket load among the District Courts in Oklahoma by either transferring cases or transferring Judges.
- Difficulty for a District Judge to handle a full docket without having the benefit of Law Clerks as are available in the federal system and in our appellate system.
- Approximate amount of his time will be spent on administrative duties as Presiding Judge as opposed to hearing and deciding cases.
Judge Lewis, Kent Meyers