"Dick Soergel, OSU's Greatest Three-Sport Athlete" was first aired on Sunday March 27th 2011. Our Guests were Dick Soergel, Former Three-Sport Athlete and Lynne Draper, President & CEO, Jim Thorpe Association.
Our topics included:
- Dick talks about difficulty of being a three-sport athlete and possibility of it happening today.
- Have we seen the end of three-sport athletes at the major college level.
- Lynne discusses Dick's induction into the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame and about others in the Sports Hall of Fame that have come in in three sports.
- Since the mid-1950's, Dick is the only three-sport letterman at the major college level in Oklahoma to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- Dick discusses being drafted in football by the New England Patriots and his pursuit of that.
- Of the three sports, which he found the most mentally demanding.
- Dick, tells of other collegiate and professional athletes that came from Capital Hill High School when he was there.
- He was quarterback on the Capital Hill football team when the first game against a black high school was played (Douglas High School) – he discusses meeting Prentice Gautt and their relationship today.
- Dick talks about special memories about that ball game
- Lynne discusses what he remembers about Dick's college career.
- After his days at Oklahoma State what Dick did then and what he is doing now.
Dick Soergel, Mick Cornett, Kent Meyers, Lynne Draper