"The Protector of Children" was first aired on Sunday July 25th 2010. Our Guest was Tsinena Bruno-Thompson, President & CEO, Oklahoma Lawyers for Children.
Our topics included:
- Oklahoma Lawyers for Children - its mission
- How Lawyers for Children goes about finding lawyers to represent abused and deprived children on a pro bono basis
- Why Lawyers for Children was necessary if the Public Defenders’ office is charged with the responsibility of representing the children
- How their organization works with the Public Defenders’ office
- What non-lawyer volunteers do for abused and deprived children
- How the process works from the time the child is placed into custody of DHS and then gets his/her lawyer
- Who does what?
- Dollar value of legal services that are rendered annually by volunteer lawyers
- Responsibilities of the lawyer once they are appointed to represent the child
- Is there a time limit on how long the appointment lasts
- Office staff.
- Major challenges facing Oklahoma Lawyers for Children in the coming decade
Tsinena Bruno-Thompson, Mick Cornett, Kent Meyers