"10 Commandments on the Capitol Grounds" was first aired on Sunday July 5th 2009. Our Guests were Reverend Bruce Prescott, Mainstream Baptist Church, Norman, Oklahoma and Pastor Paul Blair, Fairview Baptist Church, Edmond, Oklahoma.
Our topics included:
- Oklahoma Legislature passed House Bill 1330 this year providing for the construction on State Capitol grounds of a monument displaying the Ten Commandments.
- The bill provides for the same type of display as was used in Texas.
- View by each guest on this subject
- How the display is constitutional under the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution
- Is the real purpose to promote the teachings of the Ten Commandments or to simply recognize what some would say is the partial underpinning of U.S. law
- Why should a private party finance and defend this and constitutionality of this
- What each would tell members of their congregations that take contrary positions to theirs
- One of the major reasons the Texas display was ruled constructional was because of the length of time that expired between the time it was erected and the time it was challenged
- Prediction each has about the constitutionality of the Oklahoma display and is it worth the effort and attention that has been given to it considering the other problems we have in Oklahoma
Rev. Prescott, Mick Cornett, Kent Meyers, Pastor Blair