"An Insider's View of the Supreme Court" was first aired on Sunday August 10th 2008. Our Guest was Joseph Thai, Professor of Law, University of Oklahoma, College of Law.
Our topics included:
- What drew him to the University of Oklahoma College of Law.
- Contact with Justice Stevens - how long he expects him to continue to serve.
- His assessment of the court under the leadership of Chief Justice John Roberts - collegiality established.
- Assess last term of the Supreme Court just completed - major decisions:
- Washington, D.C. handgun decision;
- Capital punishment for child rapists;
- Handling of detainees at Guantanamo;
- Justice Sandra Day O'Connor was often described as a "swing vote" on the court (between liberal and conservative sides), swing vote today.
- Predictability today which way the Justice will swing on given issues.
- Assessment of the U.S. Supreme Court jurisprudence in the next five years.
- Changes he sees occurring on the court and how will that affect all of us.
Professor Thai, Mick Cornett, Kent Meyers