"The Oklahoma Judicial Nominating Commission" was first aired on Sunday December 9th 2007. Our Guest was Robert Margo, Chair, Oklahoma Judicial Nominating Commission.
Our topics included:
- What is the Judicial Nominating Commission - how it got started - its origins
- The make-up or membership of the Judicial Nominating Commission
- Why there is a majority of non-lawyers rather than lawyers on the Commission
- What positions the Commission fills and what courts
- Why there is an at-large member
- Length of elected lawyer Commissioners' terms
- Over that period of time, number of vacancies a typical Commissioner assists in filling
- Procedure used to evaluate a candidate
- What happens after list is made, to whom it is sent and who makes the final appointment
- What happens if the Governor says "I don't like any of these three, start over"
- The greatest accomplishments of the Judicial Nominating Commission during his tenure
- Any changes in the Commission structure or rules that he'd like to see made - should District Judges be appointed or run on a retention ballot rather than the way they are elected now
Robert Margo, Mick Cornett, Kent Meyers