"Should We Import Prescription Drugs From Canada?" was first aired on Wednesday November 24th 2004. Our Guest was Mark Dodson, DPh, President, Oklahoma Pharmacists Association.
Our topics included:
- Why foreign (including Canada) purchasers can buy U.S. prescription drugs cheaper than U.S. citizens
- The role the Pharmacy Benefit Managers play in the pricing of pharmaceuticals
- The role of the pharmaceutical manufacturers in pricing
- According to Senator-elect Coburn, the average Oklahoman spends $582 per year on prescription drugs and Oklahoma's prescription drug burden was the 10th highest in the Nation.
- Why Oklahoma's prescription drug burden is so much higher than other State's
- His your concerns about the safety of drugs manufactured in the United States, sold to Canada and then re-imported to the United States
- Drug safety/validity (counterfeit)
- Improper mixing of several drugs
- What he thinks is going to happen in Oklahoma and across the Nation on importation of drugs from Canada and elsewhere
- Can government supervision solve the problem of drug safety
- The solution to bringing down the cost of prescription drugs for Oklahomans
Mark Dodson, Mick Cornett, Kent Meyers