"The Criminal Sentencing Fire Storm" was first aired on Sunday August 8th 2004. Our Guest was Robert G. McCampbell, U.S. Attorney, Western District of Oklahoma.
Our topics included:
- It's been almost three years since he has been on the show - discuss how have things been going
- On June 3rd, Attorney General Ashcroft appointed him Chairman of the Sentencing Subcommittee
- On June 24th the Supreme Court issued the Blakely decision dealing with the sentencing guidelines
- Briefly describe what Blakely did
- What effect will it have on future cases? Effect on past cases?
- Justice Scalia wrote opinion - Justice O'Connor predicted it would "wreak havoc on trial courts across the country" - Does he agree or disagree?
- On August 9th, the ABA will take up a recommendation to liberalize sentencing and expand after release program - what he thinks about that
- He has been involved in "Project Exile" - discuss what that is and what kind of effect it is having in the community
- Where is his office's major emphasis - what kind of criminal activity?
Robert McCampbell, Mick Cornett, Kent Meyers