"Hospitals in Oklahoma" was first aired on Sunday November 9th 2003. Our Guests were Karen Rieger, Attorney and Craig Jones, President Oklahoma Hospital Association.
Our topics included:
- Oklahoma Hospital Association: membership; mission.
- Emergency Room utilization. Why increasing? What to do about it?
- What is EMTALA (Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act)? What does it require?
- What does all this mean for the average patient?
- Why are there so many uninsured Oklahomans?
- Consumer hears a lot about patient's privacy: What is HIPAA? What does it require?
- Discussion of end of life issues.
- Pam Shiavo case in Florida. How does a hospital deal with issues like this?
- Treatment decisions for incompetent persons
- Power of the spouse, the child, etc., acting on behalf of an adult
- What is a living will and why does one need it?
- What is a healthcare proxy?
- What is the biggest problem facing hospitals today in Oklahoma?
Craig Jones, Kent Meyers, Mick Cornett, Karen Rieger